Reading time ( words)
SEMI today announced that SEMICON West 2015 will feature the Silicon Innovation Forum (SIF), a unique forum for strategic investors and key decision makers to meet new and emerging early-stage companies developing the future of microelectronics. SIF is organized by SEMI (www.semi.org) in partnership with top research institutes and strategic investment groups such as Applied Ventures, Intel Capital, Samsung Ventures, and more. The event is strategically co-located with SEMICON West (www.semiconwest.org) – the premier U.S. electronics manufacturing event.
"Investment in semiconductor equipment and materials is increasingly crowded out by VC’s interest in software, media and entertainment and biotechnology segments. Traditional venture capital and private attention to advanced semiconductor technology development has declined in recent years, putting the future of microelectronics innovation at risk. SIF helps accelerate R&D in our industry and encourages continued innovation from new sources," said Karen Savala, president of SEMI Americas.
SIF brings together research institutes and emerging companies in the electronics manufacturing sector with the industry’s strategic investors and leading technology partners ─ for a two-day forum of investor panels, startup pitches, round tables, keynotes, research forum and an innovator showcase.
The Silicon Innovation Forum will be held July 14 and 15 at Moscone Center in San Francisco, Calif. SIF includes:
“Startup/Investor Forum” agenda (July 14):
- “Investor Pitch” Session: SIF exhibitors present directly to a panel of top investors. Examples of exciting new technologies presented include:
- Silicon thermo electronic technology enabling wearable devices to operate using energy from body heat
- Low cost, 3D printing technology for mass production
- CMP slurries with nano-sized contact release capsules to enable planarization of high aspect ratio structures
- Power management IC with reduced footprint and thickness
- Sensors based on silicon germanium capable of detecting a broader range of the IR spectrum
- Radically new, biomedical applications for semiconductor technology
- Investor Panel discussion
- New this year: Innovation Village Startup Showcase and Research Park is a new exposition segment that includes 20 emerging startups and 10 breakthrough research organizations in an interactive exposition showcase arena.
“Research and Innovation” agenda (July 15):
- Advanced Research: Includes presentations from: SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, International Consortium for Advanced Manufacturing Research, SUNY Network of Excellence - Materials & Advanced Manufacturing, Novati Technologies, MIST Center, Micro/Nano Electronics Metrology at NIST, Texas State University and Georgia Tech Heat Lab
- INNOVATE Keynote and Reception at Innovation Village: An exclusive networking session for investors, SIF exhibitors and session partners. Advanced registration is required.
Attendees at the Silicon Innovation Forum will include entrepreneurs engaged in silicon innovation, investment professionals from angel, venture, corporate and institutional communities, and senior executives from the microelectronics industries.
Premier sponsors for SEMICON West 2015 include: Applied Materials, KLA-Tencor, and Lam Research.
SEMI is the global industry association serving the nano- and microelectronics manufacturing supply chains. Our 1,900 member companies are the engine of the future, enabling smarter, faster and more economical products that improve our lives. Since 1970, SEMI has been committed to helping members grow more profitably, create new markets and meet common industry challenges. SEMI maintains offices in Bangalore, Beijing, Berlin, Brussels, Grenoble, Hsinchu, Moscow, San Jose, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Tokyo, and Washington, D.C. For more information, visit www.semi.org.